Duplicator is arguably the most powerful WordPress website migration plugin that is available on the Internet. It has a free version and a few other plans that are paid. We at HowToHosting.guide have written this Duplicator Plugin Review to reveal its features and usefulness.
WordPress users can migrate, copy, move, and clone a website from one location to a new one and have backup included, thanks to the Duplicator plugin.
Table of Contents [hide]
- Duplicator WordPress Migration Plugin – What Is It?
- Duplicator Migration – Features
- Migration and Running a Backup with Duplicator
- Duplicator Host Build Interrupt – Easy Fix
- Duplicator Pro and Paid Plans
Duplicator WordPress Migration Plugin – What Is It?
Duplicator is believed to be the best WordPress migration plugin offered on the Internet.
Duplicator is easy to use, user-friendly and even if you lack technical knowledge you would be able to migrate a site without a problem. It will take you just a few steps, regardless of how you choose to do so.
The implemented wizard inside will guide you through the migration process. You begin with creating a migration package of your website and download it to your computer along with an installer script.
Afterward, you will need to upload the installer script and the abovementioned package to the new location, be it a new host or server, and run the wizard. Duplicator will unpack the content and install all needed files.
You can also update URLs to make sure that everything will run smoothly after you are done with the migration.
Duplicator Migration – Features
Duplicator is preferred by tech-savvy WordPress users and beginners alike, due to its many likable options.
One of the best features is having a zero-downtime migration process, which will ensure that people who are currently on your website will stay satisfied as they won’t have to wait or experience downtimes.
You can always create backups without worrying that something might go wrong.
Users love the following essential features of Duplicator:
- Moving, migrating or cloning a WordPress site between domains or hosts with no downtime
- Pulling down a live website to localhost for development
- Transferring a WordPress site from one host to another
- Manually backing up a WordPress site or parts of a site
- Duplicating a live site to a staging area or the other way around
- Bundling up an entire WordPress site for easy reuse or distribution
- Performing a full WordPress migration without struggling with Import/Export SQL scripts
Among the features mentioned above, you could also improve your workflow with pre-bundled sites. Duplicator gives you the ability to make your own pre-configured websites so you would not have to re-do them.
If you are tired of manually configuring your theme, plugins, and content all over again and then repeat the process many times over, there is a solution.
With Duplicator you can configure a website once and then just copy that configuration to the new site.
Then, you can bundle the site up into a Duplicator package. After you have the site into a bundle, you can migrate the WordPress site how many times you see fit. You can migrate to different locations and instantly create your own pre-configured sites.
Migration and Running a Backup with Duplicator
Duplicator creates a package that bundles all plugins, themes, content, databases and files of a WordPress website into a single .zip file called a package. This package can be used to migrate a WordPress site to any location with ease.
You can move it to the same server, across servers, or to another location on which a WordPress website can be hosted. Even WordPress is not required for installation since the package contains all needed website files.
Duplicator Host Build Interrupt – Easy Fix
Lately, there is a problem that occurs within the Duplicator plugin. The issue is referred to as Host Build Interrupt.
How does this issue happen? The issue pops up when you are trying to create a backup of your WordPress website.
The message you receive looks like this:
Assistance With Host Build Interrupt Error
There is one issue that users of the Duplicator WordPress site backup plugin tend to face often. Thus, we at HowToHosting.guide decided to include it in our article and provide help for its fix.
This is an error that may occur while you are trying to create a package in Duplicator plugin or a database backup.
The Host Build Interrupt error is usually followed by this message – This server cannot complete the build due to host setup constraints. It may be really annoying as the package creation process may go up to 20% and then end up with the display of this error.
Here is what the author of Duplicator plugin, Cory Lamle, recommends:
Go into Settings ❯ Packages and change the Database setting from PHP ❯ mySQL or vice-versa.
In addition, you should consider optimizing and filtering tables, if any on your website. Consider removing any extra data from your database as well.
Another way to fix it is by installing the latest version of the Duplicator plugin. You should make sure you have the latest version.
The way to do that is to go to your WordPress plugin menu and delete Duplicator, then re-install it with the latest available patch.
Duplicator Pro and Paid Plans
You can try out Duplicator for free and never pay a dime, or if you find it useful and need more features you can choose one of four paid plans. If you have three or more websites, and also consider expanding, you might want to upgrade to Duplicator Pro. Most users do not have more than three websites, so they stick with the basic features. This is what you will get if you decide to pay up:
- Scheduled Backups
- Cloud Storage (Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Amazon S3 and FTP/SFTP)
- Multi-threadding to support larger websites and databases
- Migration of an entire multisite WordPress network in one go
- Installation of a multisite subsite as a new standalone website
- Database and user creation in the installer with cPanel API
- Connect to cPanel directly from the Installer
- E-mail Notifications
- Professional Support
As you can see, you will get more out of the Duplicator WordPress Migration Plugin if you go with the Pro version. Unfortunately, having three sites is not much, but you will still need to purchase the Pro version to utilize the needed licenses.
Duplicator is a great tool for migrating, cloning, and moving your WordPress websites.
The plugin is orientated towards the ease of use for both the technically-inclined and those who are beginners and lack knowledge. Providing backup as an option as well as ensuring no downtimes, crashes or hiccups could happen, makes this WordPress plugin reliable and praiseworthy.
Having an even better feature with the paid plans can be a real time-saver for business people who like to fiddle less with their websites and go straight into launching them. We cannot do anything but recommend Duplicator.
What We Like About Duplicator
- Migrate WordPress site to a new host, domain name or local server.
- Easy to use migration wizard that is user-friendly.
- Duplicator Pro can be used to schedule backups and save them on remote storage.
- Connects with cPanel hosting dashboard to automatically create database and users.
- Zero downtime migration and backups.
What We Don’t Like About Duplicator
- Beginners may need help with connecting to the FTP server.
- You need to buy Duplicator Pro to get some basic features included.
Read the following related articles: